Even if you have taken every precaution, there is always a chance your pet could become lost. Here are some things you can do to hopefully reunite you and your pet more quickly.
- Have current ID/tags or write your phone number on your pet’s collar.
- Microchip! Collars and tags can come off. Animal Shelters and Veterinary offices always check for a microchip. Be sure your information is current with the microchip company. Pet owners often forget to update their phone numbers and/or register new owner transfer information with the microchip company. This, unfortunately, impedes the progress of being reunited with your pet.
My pet is lost. What should I do?
- Contact all local animal shelters in the Southwest WA/Portland metro area and submit a Lost Pet report. It is not uncommon for lost pets to turn up in another town, state or even hundreds of miles away.
- If you are a resident of Camas/Washougal and your pet went missing in your neighborhood, you will want to work closely with us (WCGHS) and the Humane Society of Southwest Washington (HSSW). In addition to filling out a Lost Pet report, you should visit as often as possible to view the animals. With mixed breeds, identification can sometimes be tricky for shelters. To contact WCGHS for a lost cat, please call (360) 835-3464. For a lost dog, call (360) 335-0941. HSSW can be reached by calling (360) 397-2488.
- Create flyers with your pet’s picture, description and your contact information. Post around your neighborhood (or put in your neighbor’s mailboxes), at local veterinary offices and stores.
- Post an ad on Craigslist and in your local newspaper.
- Post on Facebook! Social media is a fast way to get the word out and shared throughout your community. Many animal shelters (including WCGHS) post photos of stray animals brought in by either Animal Control or citizens, when owner information is not available. There are many different Lost and Found Pet groups on Facebook that you can join and post on. Don’t forget to post in ours!
Here are some other local Facebook Lost and Found Pet groups:
- Camas/Washougal Lost Pet Connection
- Lost & Found Pets of Vancouver, WA
- Lost and Found Pets in Vancouver, WA
- SW Washington Lost & Found Dogs
- Lost and Found Pets of Battle Ground, Yacolt and surrounding areas
- Lost Pets of Clark County
- Clark County Lost and Found Pet Page
- Lost & Found Pets WA State
- Lost and Found Portland Pets
- Lost & Found Pets of Portland, OR
- Lost and Found Pets Portland, Gresham & surrounding areas
Whatever you do, don’t give up! Keep looking for your beloved pet.
I found a pet. What should I do?
If you found a stray dog within the city limits of Camas or Washougal, you have two options. You may bring the dog to our shelter during open hours, or you may contact Animal Control directly and arrange for them to pick up the dog.
If you choose to bring the dog to WCGHS, please call us at (360) 335-0941 to let us know you are coming. We can only accept dogs during open shelter hours. After hours, you must contact Animal Control.
If you choose to contact Animal Control, you may do so in the following ways:
– Before 5pm, Monday-Friday call (360) 835-8701 (press 1)
– After 5pm, and on weekends call (360) 693-3111
If you would like to hold on to the dog while looking for the owner, please contact WCGHS to submit a Found Dog report. If the dog was found in Clark County, but outside of Camas or Washougal city limits, please contact the Humane Society of Southwest Washington (HSSW) at (360) 397-2488, or call Clark County Animal Control at (360) 397-2488.
Whatever you do, DO NOT abandon the animal. It is prohibited by law and violators will be prosecuted!
Did you find a stray cat within the city limits of Camas or Washougal? Depending on space, we may be able to help you. If you would like to hold on to the cat while looking for the owner, please contact us to submit a Found Cat report. If the cat was found within Clark County, but outside of Camas or Washougal city limits, please contact the Humane Society of Southwest Washington at (360) 397-2488.
If you would like to bring the cat to the WCGHS shelter, please call us at 360-835-3464 to see if we have space available. We can only accept cats during open shelter hours.
If you hold on to the pet, whether it is a cat or a dog, while looking for the owner, be sure to also post it on the different local Facebook groups listed above. Putting an ad on Craigslist, and posting flyers in your neighborhood will also increase the chances of reuniting the pet with its owner.