Barn Cat Program
At West Columbia Gorge Humane Society, cats in our Barn Cat Program fall into one of three categories:
- Cats who are feral (unsocial, shy or fearful of people) and prefer the company of other animals
- Cats that are too independent or too wild to be confined indoors
- Cats whose bad litter box habits make them unsuitable to live in a house
For cats in these situations barns, warehouses or out-buildings are typically the last chance at adoption. Without barn adopters, these type of cats don’t have many options. We usually have several of these types of cats waiting for a safe place to live out their lives.
Barn cats available for adoption from West Columbia Gorge Humane Society are spayed/neutered, vaccinated, microchipped and receive parasite control treatment. We request that you adopt at least two cats together or have other resident cats at your site as these cats will do best with a buddy.
Although donations to cover a portion of these costs are appreciated, WCGHS does not charge an adoption fee for barn cats.
When you adopt a barn cat from our organization, an adoption counselor will go over how to acclimate your cat to their new environment and tips for making the adoption a success. Those who adopt our barn cats agree to give them:
- Shelter in a barn, warehouse, outbuilding or stable
- Daily food and water – well fed cats tend to stay close to home and therefore do the best job of controlling rodents
- Long-term veterinary care, as needed
- A secure area the first few weeks in their new home while they acclimate to their new surroundings
If you have a building suitable for cats to live out their lives in safety and comfort, please consider giving an otherwise unadoptable cat or two a home. You will enjoy watching the cats and having the satisfaction of giving them a much needed home. They may even help keep rodents in check!
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or (360) 835-3464.